Friday, September 7, 2012

adjusting

Well after a long day of traveling and jet lag I'm into my first full day in Toledo. Yesterday was spent getting to Toledo, meeting fellow American students, and settling into my host family. My host family is a mother and she lives in a cute apartment in a neighborhood just outside old Toledo. Before dinner yesterday I went on a walk with my mother and neighbor girl (9 years old) who is practically like my host mom's daughter. We strolled around a beautiful park called Parque de las tres culturas (Park of three cultures). This is Toledo's motto as it served as a hub for the coexistence between Catholics, Jews, and Muslims for many years. It was a really nice walk and it struck me how active the people of Toledo were. Drones of runners, rollerbladers, and sport enthusiasts filled the park. After a 9 o'clock dinner (early by Spanish standards) I gladly went to bed at around 11... then of course woke up at 3 thinking it was 9. JETLAGyahooo.

This morning was spent taking a placement exam (written and oral) and figuring out classes for Monday. Then I wandered around the city for a while with some fellow students. Find of the day was this bar/cafe right by where we have our classes that serves coffee and a pastry for 1,70 and a cerveza and tapas for 2. I have a feeling that we will be frequenting this establishment quite often.

This evening we have dinner together and then are going to checkout Toledo's nightlife. While not as massive as Madrid I have heard that the quaint city has a lot to offer.

Right now I am fumbling my spanish like no other. Most of the times as my host mom talks I just nod my head and reply "si." Just hoping that I won't feel like a total idiot for too much longer but I guess these things just take some time.

Adíos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment